Saturday, July 18, 2009

R.I.P.




Walter Cronkite died yesterday.

I suspect that makes most people my age and older pause for a moment or two. Cronkite was one of the best, no doubt about it. The man had integrity, something so rare now. People ten years younger than I have heard of him, but probably have no idea how different TV news was then. It's more, um..., entertaining now.

I was looking for a YouTube of Cronkite's appearance on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, where a fawning Ted Baxter was beside himself with excitement; but it looks like nobody has posted it yet. I was going to compare today's modern TV news people to Ted Baxter. But not favorably.

Excuse me – I turn 60 this month, so I'm practicing sounding like an Old Fart. I think I've got it down pretty good.

And I'm sorry to use language like that in a post about Walter Cronkite's death. He certainly deserves better than that. Here's an interesting op-ed he wrote for the NY Times.


No comments: