Friday, January 02, 2009

This Is Actually a Secret Government Blog


Why else would it be of such interest to certain people?

I wrote earlier about how, just hours after posting a comment about a Vietnamese, this blog got it's first visitor from Vietnam. As an experiment, I mentioned Tienanmen Square and wondered what would happen.

It took a day and a half, but what happened is I got my first visitor from China. So welcome, friend.

The Chinese people, like us, have been struggling to create a government that is working for the public weal. And, like us, they're having their ups and downs. I wish them well.

The NY Times has a little story about one of their recent downs here. It's almost like we've exported the Republican Party to China: capitalism unfettered by good government, morality, or intelligence. That's a vast improvement over the Red Guard, certainly, but we all need to set our sights higher than that.

Here's a gift for my Chinese reader:



And here's a time-saving tip for my Chinese reader:

If you have Arlo Guthrie's "Arlo" album, on the reverse side you'll find a piece called "The Pause of Mr. Claus." Listen to it, and then you'll understand what I mean when I say that, for your purposes, I am the "last guy." But I would say that if I were actually encoding secrets on my blog, too, wouldn't I? Whatever you do, don't play "The Pause of Mr. Claus" backwards.

Please say "hi" the next time you drop in.

Postscript: There's something wonderfully ironic about "Fanfare for the Common Man" being played to such a well-dressed, well-tended audience in such an elaborate venue, isn't there?


4 comments:

troutay said...

Every time I hear that, something wells up in side of me and I want to blast it from the highest point.

Fanfare For The Common Man is my wish for the future year.

Anonymous said...

Troutay,

I agree!

Jeannelle said...

Yes.

I'm basically very ignorant of internet goings-on. Awhile back I posted a story about a lost diamond, and within a day received a comment from someone at a diamond importing company. It was my first inkling that there must be programs out there searching for relevant subjects that get posted on the web.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jeannelle, I'm obviously more naive than you.

Until you mentioned "program," I had a vision of my little blog being read by a Red Army spy! I know they have lots of people in China to do things like that, but now I have to face the fact that my post was read, and discarded as uninteresting, by a program. I am bummed.

Bob