Thursday, January 15, 2009

Official Portrait



The web site of "The Office of the President-Elect" has released the first official Obama Presidential Portrait. And, as the web site says,

It was taken by Pete Souza, the newly-announced official White House photographer.

It is the first time that an official presidential portrait was taken with a digital camera. [My emphasis]

And what a digital camera it is, too. If you have a digital camera, you should know that (unless it is an incredibly cheap camera), it records not only the photo, but the type of camera that took the photo, along with the date, time, aperture, shutter speed, whether you used a flash, and gobs of other info. Some cameras even record your GPS coordinates. All this information is recorded in the file with the photo.

That's how I know this camera was taken with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Which just happens to be the camera I've been lusting after ever since it was released. Could this be a sign? [Say "yes!"] Bad news, though: they're not cheap. I guess that's understating it, isn't it? They're expensive.


2 comments:

shutterhand said...

I have finally figured out how to leave a comment. You're in for it now bro. Funny how the 5D mark II is not available even at B&H. If you want one right now you will have to pay more than the $2700. In contrast, the overpriced 24MP Nikon D3X can be had right now for $8000. Not exactly flying off the shelves. Either one can match 6X7CM film format in sharpness. Amazing. I will probably end up being a Canon guy after all.

Anonymous said...

Shutterhand,

Since you're my brother, I should say something sarcastic; but I'm glad to have you aboard.

I had to get on a B&H waiting list for the G9 (which took the cardinal picture). They sent me an email when it became available, and I ordered it before they ran out again. I expect the same thing would apply to the 5D. Except I'm not on the waiting list. (Sigh)