Wednesday, January 14, 2009

In the Bleak Midwinter


Snow on snow.

It's not as cold as Readlyn, yet, but we're sure getting our share of snow in Chicago. And they say we'll have 58 hours of below zero, starting tonight. Below zero is when I cry if I have to start the car, because I'm sure I can hear the pistons scraping against the rings.

Shoveled this morning before heading for food pantry, and again this afternoon when I got home from my haircut.

Got this picture of Chicago winter life for you while I was out:


And while I was shoveling, I noticed a cardinal couple in a bush. I still had a camera in my pocket, so I tried to get closer. It was surprising how close they allowed me to get. But they wouldn't pose for a clear picture. If I went to the far side of the bush, they'd move back to the side I had been on. But they just sat in that bush. Cardinals are usually much too skittish to allow something like this.


It was when I took my glove off to take the picture, though, that I realized the temperature is falling -- 10 degrees and falling fast. Back to shoveling, then inside to warm up.


6 comments:

shutterhand said...

My brother the nature photographer. I knew you'd get hooked sooner or later. Like the bicycle shot too. Its been a pretty brutal winter here on the tundra. -30 this morning. Even a tad chilly for us.

Anonymous said...

It was amazing how close these guys let me get to them. I couldn't have been more than 10 feet or so away. They did not want to move, but finally got annoyed with me and headed over the fence into the neighbor's yard. If I run into any more nature in Chicago, I'll be sure to take it's picture.

shutterhand said...

Go visit my Flickr account and see the squirrel stare down the red-tailed hawk. It was at Martin Luther King Jr. Park right down the street as I walked the Weezer. There is amazing wildlife right in the city. Get a bird feeder and they will come. Do it for waveland if not for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Shutterhand is right - he's got some great pictures of a red squirrel who was either brave or crazy. In any event, he chased off a hawk that could have had him for dinner. It's at http://www.flickr.com/photos/22888993@N03/. He's got some amazing pictures of wildlife he has taken from Minnesota and Wisconsin to Costa Rica.

Starbuck said...

I'm surprised the camera worked at such a low temperature. I took a camera with me to hike up Lake Placid and it would shut down on me if the temperature dropped too low.

Anonymous said...

Starbuck,

Thanks for dropping by. I was kind of amazed about the batteries, too. I kept expecting them to give up the ghost. Probably keeping the camera in an inside pocket helped, and the battery compartment is where the right hand grip is, so that probably helped.

Be safe, and thanks for your service.