Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chicago Snow


I'm not sure how much snow we've gotten since last night, but I'm sure it's enough. I've shoveled the walk at least three times, and my neighbors have been by with snow blowers at least as many times.

For some reason we're all taking care of each other this winter. If my neighbors have to go to work, I shovel their walk. If they think I'm not at home (because I'm hiding behind drawn blinds, hoping they'll think I'm out), they shovel mine. For most snows the hassle is getting out there, then getting back in, and out of snowy clothes. As long as you're out there, it doesn't take long to also shovel your neighbor's walk. Of course, as I get older this poem starts speaking to me:

"Snow" by George Bilgere

A heavy snow, and men my age
all over the city
are having heart attacks in their driveways,

dropping their nice new shovels
with the ergonomic handles
that finally did them no good.

Gray-headed men who meant no harm,
who abided by the rules and worked hard
for modest rewards, are slipping

softly from their mortgages,
falling out of their marriages.
How gracefully they swoon--

that lovely, old-fashioned word--
from dinner parties, grandkids,
vacations in Florida.

They should have known better
than to shovel snow at their age.
If only they'd heeded

the sensible advice of their wives
and hired a snow-removal service.
But there's more to life

than merely being sensible. Sometimes
a man must take up his shovel
and head out alone into the snow.

Suellen had a meeting to go to. I took one look at the depth of snow in the alley (the garage opens to the alley), then a look at my ergonomic shovel. I decided she should take the bus. And since getting out of the house is a good thing for all of us, I went along with her and delivered her to the door of her meeting. I took some pictures on my way home.

Getting on a bus on the Inner Drive.


This is looking east across Lake Shore Drive. Those trees are Lincoln Park, and beyond them is Lake Michigan.


Then I got on the bus to head home.


Passed a landmark on the way.


My morning was exactly that exciting.


3 comments:

troutay said...

We did not get much snow here. I think I am going back to bed.
And that is as exciting as it is around here.
Your day sounded much more interesting than mine. I did not even leave the house.

Jeannelle said...

I love your city snow photos. Good thing you decided to ride along on the bus. Wow....Wrigley Field.....I was there once as a kid. The Cubs were our favorites.....Ernie Banks, Don Kessinger, Glen Beckert, Ferguson Jenkins, are names that pop into my mind.....if they are correct, I'm not sure. Anyway, we were really excited to see the Cubs play. I don't think Ernie Banks was playing anymore, but was first base coach, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Troutay,

It's that time of year, isn't it?

Jeannelle,

It's amazing how blasé you can get about things in a city. I go by Wrigley fairly often, and often don't even look up. But I had my camera with me, and snapped a couple through the bus window as we went by. You've got those names right.