Monday, July 07, 2008

Department of Meaningless Polls


Gallup is usually a pretty bright bunch, so when I saw this poll I tried to fight my initial reaction (i.e., "This is a stupid poll!") and understand how this could have any meaning at all. I was unsuccessful in that endeavor.

When given a choice about how government should address the numerous economic difficulties facing today's consumer, Americans overwhelmingly -- by 84% to 13% -- prefer that the government focus on improving overall economic conditions and the jobs situation in the United States as opposed to taking steps to distribute wealth more evenly among Americans.


I suspect the first reaction of most people, if asked if the government should take steps "to distribute wealth more evenly among Americans," is "Not MY money!" Yet, when it gets down to particulars, like progressive income tax or Social Security, the tune changes.

If the "conservative movement" has been successful at anything, it is in establishing a conventional wisdom that says, "the government is bad, and oppresses people like me." People on the right don't even think about it -- to them it is a tenet of their faith. And they're even more sure of it as they breathe cleaner air, drink safe water, drive on public roads, buy wholesome food in restaurants and at the supermarket, send their children to school, attend movie theaters with fire exits, drive through intersections where cross-traffic has stopped at a red light, buy stock in companies that follow standard accounting practices, go camping at Yellowstone, cash their Social Security checks, and live without fear of foreign invasion.

I suppose I should add that I have absolutely nothing against "improving overall economic conditions and the jobs situation in the United States." In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say I'm absolutely in favor of it. I'm also in favor of rain in drought-stricken areas. I'm sorry, but somebody has to take a stand.

Stupid poll.


No comments: