Saturday, March 16, 2013

How Would This Look on My Kitchen Counter?


I've been gradually cleaning out the house, in anticipation of selling it in the next 6 months or so. One of the things I had to tackle was my wine cellar.

My wine cellar easily held 100-125 bottles of wine, and at one time it was pretty full. Problem is, I don't drink wine fast enough, and lots of the bottles got too old to drink. So they sat there. I had $5.99 bottles from 1978.

Last week, I started opening the bottles and pouring them down the sink. It was a dirty business.



I found that the bottle opener called an "ah-so" works best at getting out decayed old corks. And I sent a lot of lead to recycling. And I learned that a 1979 bottle of champagne still pops. And I found some bottles of a 1979 Pomerol from Clos L'Eglis, which was a wonderful bottle of wine – 20 years ago.

I figure that by the time I'm done, I'll have poured $500 worth of wine down the sink. (Not all my wine was under $10.)

So my plan is, in the future I'll limit my wine "cellar" to a rack on the kitchen counter, and not buy more wine than I can drink in a month. With that plan in mind, I went to Amazon, looking for a wine rack.

What do you think of this one?



No comments: