Monday, June 09, 2008

Talkin' Gas Prices




I can't say the increase in gas prices has caused Suellen and me any hardship, but thinking about the gas pump crossing $50 for a fill-up makes us think twice about driving sometimes. Suellen and I are doing more walking now that the snow and ice are gone. Most of the places we go are walkable, so we get a double cardiac/pocketbook benefit if we leave the car in the garage. I bought a bicycle a couple of weeks ago, and it is now a transportation option, too.

So the gas prices haven't been a real burden to us in Chicago. But this article in today's NY Times makes it clear that they've been a disaster in rural areas. It's definitely worth the read. Even if you don't read it, take a look at their map of gas purchases expressed as a percent of income. This is pretty sobering. These folks need help.

I didn't know I'd be writing this when I posted the Iris DeMent song, below, but it is certainly apropos.

No comments: