Tuesday, January 03, 2017

David Brooks Tries to Understand Trump


Over the holidays, a person I know started speaking favorably about "Republican values". I was dying to ask just what "Republican values" are, but it was the holidays, and really, I didn't see any plus side to blowing up the relationship.

Joe Biden says, "Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value."

Which is only broadly related to this post, the purpose of which is to point you to David Brooks's column this morning.

It concludes:
I’ll be curious to see if Trump’s public rhetoric becomes operationalized in any way. For example, I bet his bromance with Putin will end badly. The two men are both such blustery, insecure, aggressive public posturers, sooner or later they will get in a schoolyard fight.
It will be interesting to see if that brawl is just an escalating but ultimately harmless volley of verbiage, or whether it affects the substance of government policy and leads to nuclear war.
Happy New Year!

No comments: