Monday, October 29, 2012

George McGovern


George McGovern was the most decent man to run for President in my lifetime. By a long shot.

In 1969, before he was publicly running for President, I walked into his office in Washington and asked to do volunteer work. They sent me to a basement office, where I sat at a typewriter and typed in addresses that got punched onto a long tape. They weren't too interested in seeking my counsel and advice on political issues. And the rest is history.

I'm proud to be a card-carrying member of the McGovern Million Member Club. The idea was that if a million people sent him $25, he'd have enough to challenge the large donations being gathered by Nixon's people – an idea that was later perfected in Obama's first campaign. A million people didn't, and Nixon outspent McGovern two-to-one.

I could only afford $10, but they sent me a card anyway.

I still have it. When my turn comes, I intend to show it to St. Peter.

No comments: