Friday, October 31, 2008

Hallowe'en


Well, it's almost 9 o'clock, when I turn off the outside light and declare an end to Hallowe'en.

The trick-or-treating was light this year -- only about 50 kids, all with parental units waving from the common sidewalk. I like Hallowe'en (so much so that I insist on spelling it the way I was taught to in the 50's), but I hate it when adults trick-or-treat, even if it's supposedly for a infant in a stroller. But there wasn't much of that this year.

The best news is that I have found the words to a Hallowe'en carol I was taught almost 50 years ago, and have been trying to find for years. It is fun to sing.

Hallowee-ee-en, the witch is riding high.
Have you see-ee-een her shadow in the sky?
So beware don't you dare to even boast or a ghost
To your dismay will hear you say
That you don't care, say a prayer
Or it may come and pull your hair

There's a big, black cat a crossing in our way.
Now you've heard of that, bad luck they always say.
Weren't you scared when it stared with eyes aglow
Hear that crow?
There's a thump near the pump
Let's hurry home or a gnome
Will thump a lump upon your dome.

I guess this was a post about history, not politics.


No comments: