Thursday, March 01, 2012

Mao Tse Tung was Not Very Funny


It's been a while since we've had visitors from China at Sempringham, so we were sitting here wondering how to encourage a little traffic from the People's Liberation Army's cyber unit. In the past, all it took was a mention of China, and in no time we'd have a sudden interest in my little blog from the other side of the world. And that's great! I welcome it.

So if you're dropping by from China: welcome friend, I hope to visit you soon.

While sitting here wondering how to attract Chinese visitors, it occurred to me that maybe if I told some Mao jokes, it would help get their attention. So to Google I went, looking for Mao jokes. I found a total of two; the first wasn't funny, and the second required an understanding of the finer points of the Chinese language to enjoy.

Comedy Central has a whole web page devoted to Mao jokes. It's blank!

At first, I thought this odd, that there was such a paucity of Mao jokes. I remember a B. Kliban cartoon about Mao, and it was funny:


So I wondered, "Gee, is this something just unique to Mao, this paucity of jokes, or is there something else at play here?"

So I googled "Hitler Jokes."

I wish I hadn't. Just about everything I found was repulsive, Holocaust-denying, anti-Semitic crap. There are some really sick people in this world.

I guess there's nothing funny about being a mass murderer. And that's a good thing. What was I thinking?


No comments: