Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ensemble Rameau


Monday night I was torn. I had the opportunity to attend a Hard Art Groop concert at the Merit School of Music, in the West Loop area of Chicago, or travel to Evanston to hear a Baroque quartet, Ensemble Rameau.

I have reported previously about the Hard Art Groop. I love them. And the West Loop is pretty accessible from anywhere once the rush hour traffic clears out. All Chicago highways lead to the Loop.

Evanston, on the other hand, was designed to be inaccessible from anywhere but Winnetka. A Chicagoan wishing to go to Evanston by any conveyance except the Red or Purple lines is consigned to congested city streets. If you are patient, you will get there eventually. But it will be time to head home.

Nevertheless, I opted for Evanston that night. I'd been feeling a little frayed lately, and thought some chamber music was likely to sooth my soul. I was right.

The concert venue was as interesting as the music. A "temporary, experimental lending library," The Mighty Twig is a store-front establishment founded as a response to the City of Evanston's closing of the nearly 100-year-old South Branch of the Evanston Public Library. Not so willing as the city to signal its own demise,  a group of citizens banded together to create a lending library in the same part of town. In less than a year, more than 3,000 families have joined up.

Ensemble Rameau are four musicians who play Baroque music on period instruments. Because the music was quiet and intricate, I could take pictures only while they were tuning their instruments, when the slapping of my camera's mirror wouldn't compete.

The ensemble played pieces from two musicians, Tommaso Giordani (1730-1806) and Georg Philipp Telemann (1681-1767).  Of Telemann, the program notes said, "He went from being the most renowned composer in Europe during his lifetime, to practically unknown by the mid-20th century," though his works have received more attention since then.


As is usual at things like this, I managed to make a fool of myself. After the performance, the musicians happily talked to the audience about the music and their instruments. Having read in the program that, "In Paris, the most popular works of Telemann were his quartets for flute, violin, viola da gamba, and continuo," I checked off the instuments I figured were a flute, violin, and viola, then asked the gentleman above if his instrument was a continuo.

"No, it's cello."

He then kindly explained what a continuo is/was, but I heard nothing because the blood rushing to my face produced a loud ringing sensation in my ears.

I learned from this young lady that Ensemble Rameau may be offering a concert of French Baroque Christmas music next month. That would be something to look forward to. 

I already knew Andrew, above. In addition to being a musician, he is a painter. In fact, I own three of Andrew's paintings, including one of a man playing a violin. Or is it a viola? I'm pretty sure it's not a continuo. Or am I?

Do I need to point out the tie?

The thing about Evanston that makes it worth overcoming all the obstacles it has thrown in your path for getting there is concerts like this. A cozy group of musicians, in a cozy venue, with a comfortable and attentive audience. I'm sorry you missed it.


No comments: