Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chicago Botanic Garden


Several friends have made a concerted effort to keep me engaged with life after Suellen's death last year. I haven't made it easy for them, but they persevere. Thank you, all.

Sue, one of Suellen's dearest friends, started taking me out to the Chicago Botanic Garden about once a month. We would walk around the grounds and share memories of Suellen, or just talk about things going on in our lives. Or politics!


A few months ago Sue lost her mother, and I hope our walks have helped her as much as they helped me.


Tuesday we went on another walk, and I finally grabbed a camera as we were headed out the door. It has been a leisurely Fall in Chicago, with temperatures dropping below freezing for the first time just last night. Most of the leaves at the Garden had fallen, but it was still a beautiful place.


I had no idea artichokes could grow in Chicago.


 Wikipedia says, "the Chicago Botanic Garden is a 385-acre (156 ha) living plant museum situated on nine islands featuring 24 display gardens and surrounded by four natural habitats: McDonald Woods, Dixon Prairie, Skokie River Corridor, and Lakes and Shores."


Admission is free, but parking is $20. I was going to say something snide about that until I remembered other places where I've paid $20 or more for parking. This was definitely the best deal.


The guy above was putting Christmas lights on the tree.


The Chicago Botanic Garden has a very nice cafeteria where you can sit inside or, on a nice day like this, out on the large deck that overhangs the water. Or you can take your lunch along a path and eat while regarding a gorgeous view, thinking deep thoughts.

Sue and I agreed that we're willing to go back in the winter.


No comments: