Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Simpson/Bowles Report


I've been scratching my head about the Simpson/Bowles deficit reduction report, which the media is referring to as a draft of the President's Deficit Commission Report, which it is not.

Some people, like Simpson and Bowles, think the government needs to be smaller. This doesn't seem to be based on any practical calculation, it's some kind of "philosophy" or something. It's very important to them. More important than making sure old people have enough to live on, or that sick people get health care. Personally, I think government should be as big as it needs to be. No bigger.

But I guess if you propose cuts to Social Security and Medicare, you're considered a serious person. Even if, as part of a deficit reduction package, you are proposing additional tax cuts for the wealthy. One man's serious is another man's insane, I guess. Paul Krugman doesn't think this is a serious package.

Kevin Drum has the facts that will not go away. Please read. It's short.


1 comment:

dcl4452 said...

Since the disastrous elections on November 2nd I have been thinking that to counter the rabid anti-government statements from the Tea Partiers and Republican politicians the Democrats need their own bumper sticker slogan. I came up with: "A government no larger than it needs to be." Your posting seemed awfully familiar.