Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The NSA



Okay, I need help with this NSA spying-on-Americans thing.

• What, exactly, is new about this? The NSA was doing this during the Bush Administration, there was an uproar, Congress passed laws permitting it and providing for Congressional oversight, and it continued. Our elected representatives okayed this, having decided it was necessary for national security. What am I missing?

• Google has bots reading my mail. There's no Congressional oversight of that. Shouldn't I be more concerned about what unsupervised outfits like Google and Facebook are doing?

• And the thing that really gripes me: if the NSA can do this, why can't the Federal Trade Commission stop the 10+ scam calls I receive almost every day, even though I'm on the Do Not Call Registry?


Update:

Looks like the Washington Post's Tom Toles had the same thought about Google.

 

No comments: