Thursday, June 28, 2012

Affordable Care Act



Most pundits expect the Supreme Court to overturn the Affordable Care Act – or large parts of it. As I write, announcement of the decision is still 3 hours away.

This morning the NY Times' Linda Greenhouse has a prediction:
The most useful way to read a Supreme Court decision, I figured out years ago, is to start with the dissents. That way, you can proceed to the majority opinion as a better informed reader, with the full range of possibilities in view: What arguments did the majority reject? Which did it respond to, and which did it not even bother to acknowledge? Most important, what was the disagreement really about?

[snip]

Since this column will be coexisting in cyberspace with the court’s Affordable Care Act ruling, due on Thursday morning, it’s undoubtedly foolhardy to repeat my prediction that the court will uphold the law. Well there, I just did.
And who does she see as the deciding vote? Chief Justice Roberts.

If she's right, I think we can expect Scalia to actually pop!

1 comment:

Chip said...

I don't think Scalia popped, as much as I would have liked him to. He and Santorum are of the same ilk. Catholic zealots who know what is best for us all. The Affordable Healthcare Act will be tweaked over the coming years. Hopefully, for the best. Linda Greenhouse's prediction is simply amazing!