Friday, April 20, 2012

From the Conservative Loony Bin


This video is of John Raese, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Joe Manchin. The text is just below the video, but you gotta listen to this guy's voice as he contemplates the holocaust of local smoking ordinances.



He says, in part:
I don’t want government telling me what I can do and what I can’t do because I’m an American.  But in Monongalia County you can’t smoke a cigarette, you can’t smoke a cigar, you can’t do anything.  And I oppose that because I believe in everybody’s individual freedoms and everybody’s individual rights to do what they want to do and I’m a conservative and that’s the way that goes.
But in Monongalia County now, I have to put a huge sticker on my buildings to say this is a smoke free environment.  This is brought to you by the government of Monongalia County.  Ok?
Remember Hitler used to put a Star of David on everybody’s lapel, remember that?  Same thing.
Okay, first sentence: "I don’t want government telling me what I can do and what I can’t do because I’m an American." The libertarian (a/k/a adolescent) position clearly stated. Personally, I don't mind the government (which, in a democracy, is an extension of us) telling other people what they can and can't do. Especially can't do. Like killing, raping, and pillaging. And running red lights. And spewing cancer-causing chemicals into the air and water. And so on and so on.

And because I am a grown up – pay attention, Mr. Raese, because this is really the crux of it all – because I am a grown up, I recognize that the same things other people can't do, I can't do.

Last sentence: "Remember Hitler used to put a Star of David on everybody’s lapel, remember that?  Same thing." Nooooooo, very, very far from being the same thing. And Hitler didn't put a Star of David on everybody's lapel, did he?

The saddest thing about this clown is that he is so much of a threat to unseat Manchin that Manchin now says he is "unsure" if he will support Obama for reelection.

No comments: