Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Note About That Video


I was kind of curious about the background on the video posted below, and started searching. The composer of the music is Garry Schyman, and the singer was a high school junior from Minneapolis named Palbasha Siddique. Palbasha was born in Bangladesh, but her parents moved to Minneapolis when she was six. The composer talks about how it came together in his June 22, 2008, entry here.

Matt Harding's girlfriend discovered the singer on a YouTube video from a fellow who does a show for KFAI radio in Minneapolis, who apparently went to the University of St. Thomas (threw that in for Laura).

The lyrics are from a poem by an Indian poet named Rabindranath Tagore, who won the Nobel prize for literature in 1913. Translated, they say:
Stream of Life
The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.
It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.
It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth and of death, in ebb and in flow.
I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life. And my pride is from the lifethrob of ages dancing in my blood this moment.
My suspicion is that Rabindranath Tagore did not make a profit on his lemonade stand.

1 comment:

troutay said...

Tagore wrote some wonderful poetry.

Thanks for the info on the "voice".
I really loved the music