Sunday, November 02, 2008

Decisions, Decisions


Okay, it's official: Suellen got her notification this afternoon that she got two tickets to the ticketed area of the Obama Celebration in Chicago's Grant Park on Tuesday night -- the one you'll see on TV. They will email her the actual tickets tomorrow between 6 and 7 p.m. They are non-transferable, but only one of them has a name on it (hers) -- the second is for a guest (me). You have to present the ticket with a picture ID to get in.

They're expecting a mere 65,000 people in the ticketed area, but there will likely be thousands and thousands more (I've heard up to 1 million, but don't believe it) outside the ticketed area. The likelihood of getting anywhere near as close as we did at the Super Tuesday celebration is non-existent. The likelihood of getting home before 4 a.m. is non-existent.

Hard as this may be to believe, the prospect does not thrill me. Like a professional football game, I think this will be more enjoyable watched on TV at home, with reasonably clean toilets nearby.

But this is a historical event! These tickets are very hot items! People are advertising for them on Craig's List:

1. I can be your date to the Obama rally - $1 (Chicago)

Reply to: sale-898645459@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-10-29, 6:38PM CDT

I would love to go to the Obama rally!! Have an extra ticket or just need someone to go with you? I would love to go! let me know….maybe it could turn into more than one night with me you and Obama. haha. who knows right??

2. Victoria Secret Gift Card for Obama guest ticket - $75 (Chicago)

Reply to: sale-899916928@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-10-30, 6:02PM CDT

If anyone wants a victoria secret gift card for their Guest Ticket, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!!

Thanks!

3. Smart, Beautiful, Funny Girl Needs Obama Ticket - $1 (Chicago)

Reply to: sale-900169948@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-10-30, 10:20PM CDT

Looking for a fellow Obama supporter who has a ticket to the rally Tuesday. I want to go, hang out, have a drink and have fun.

This pic is current.

4. Blackhawk Ticket for Obama Grat Park Rally Guest Pass - $1 (Chicago, IL)

Reply to: sale-900056525@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-10-30, 8:16PM CDT

Will exchange 1 Blackhawk Ticket, 12 rows off ice, for 1 guest pass to Obama Rally. If you have two guest passes, I will give you a pair of Blackhawks tickets.

5. Looking For Frumpy, Nerdy Girl to go to Obama - $1 (Chicagoland)

Reply to: sale-899926298@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-10-30, 6:11PM CDT

I’m looking for a frumpy and/or nerdy girl to go as my +1 to the Obama event. Short girls preferred. Must not be evil. Do you fit these requirements?

I am average, at best.
Looks like I'm going to the Obama Celebration.


2 comments:

troutay said...

Re: Tickets

I hate you, I really hate you.
You lucky dog!

We are going to be watching returns at Chip and Laura's.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Anonymous said...

i eagerly await your account of the historic night in grant park. i expect nothing less than a jean shepherd -style narrative complete with sharp well chosen details of things that seem superfluous but somehow stand as enduring metaphors for all that occurred and also the funny voices. but mostly, just pour it out all jumbled and feverish, talking with your mouth full.
sincerely, elwyn tinklenberg